Email to Staff
October 19, 2018
Good afternoon everyone,
Last Friday I wrote of believing, imagining and dreams. Yes, dreams. I wrote of how I expect Rutland City Public Schools to be recognized as a World Class Education System that achieves tremendous outcomes for every member of our family. I asked that you imagine what that looks and feels like.
So how do we get there? How do we become a strong family? How do we become a stronger community? How do we treat each other with compassion? How do we develop our community into a strong equitable community? Regardless of how we get there, we get there together!!
We work together, encouraging each other to take risks. We work to improve on a system that already has many great qualities. We improve and become the best World Class Education System that exists.
We need to create a system:
- based on equity not equality;
- where each student receives the resources and educational opportunities they need to thrive;
- that is inclusive of each member regardless of where we come from;
- where it doesn’t matter who our parents are or not what title anyone may hold;
- where a student’s success is not predicted nor predetermined by characteristics such as race, ethnicity, religion, family economics, class, geography, disability, language, gender, sexual orientation or initial proficiencies;
- that is student centered;
- that provides high quality curriculum and academic rigor;
- that has collaborative administrators and great teachers;
- that offers exceptional programs, extracurricular activities and support services for every student to enable them to succeed;
- that is designed for students to achieve their best;
- that embraces innovation;
- that incorporates and embraces student voice;
- to develop opportunities for reflection and growth;
- that disrupts any inequitable practices that may exist, acknowledges biases and employs practices that reflect the reality where ALL students will learn; and
- that creates inclusive multicultural environments for adults and children alike.
As we move forward we must consider the needs of staff, students and our larger community. We must begin our design at the margins with a larger vision of what a World Class Education System looks like! We must look at our neediest and most marginalized students and design it for them, if it works for them it will meet the needs of ALL. We must design by starting with ourselves in order to create our identity and develop our collective lens for the world. This design will be liberating for all of us. As we begin to explore the design we will use research based models as a starting point to inspire us. This approach will allow us to collect and review our data as we look at continuous and ongoing improvement, thus we will always be in the design phase.
How do we begin to accomplish all of this you might ask? We begin by taking our Performance Education Initiative as our guide and then have each building use their School Improvement Teams to create plans that will have all the essential elements of a World Class Education System. The planning process is and has been in place. With all of us working together we can give each and every student the best we have to give.
(This brief video is 11 minutes long, and well worth your time. To get the message of the paradigm shift the speaker supports, you need to stick with it to the end. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zDZFcDGpL4U.)
Have a nice weekend.